The Northern Territory Visitor Information
Welcome to the Northern Territory!
The Northern Territory is a vast and stunning region located in the north-central part of Australia. With its rich history, unique landscapes, and diverse wildlife, the Northern Territory is a must-visit destination for any traveler.
The Northern Territory has a long and fascinating history that dates back more than 60,000 years. The Indigenous people of the region have lived in harmony with the land for thousands of years, and their way of life is still visible in many parts of the territory. European explorers began arriving in the area in the early 1800s, and the region was eventually annexed by the British in 1824. Since then, the Northern Territory has been an important part of Australia's history, playing a key role in the development of the country's mining, agriculture, and tourism industries.
Things to do
One of the best things about visiting the Northern Territory is the incredible range of activities and attractions on offer. Whether you're interested in exploring the wilderness, learning about Indigenous culture, or simply relaxing on some of Australia's most beautiful and secluded beaches, the Northern Territory has something for everyone.
- Explore the famous Kakadu National Park
- Hike through the stunning wilderness of Litchfield National Park
- Cruise down the Katherine River
- Swim with crocodiles (safely!) in Darwin
- Experience the wonder of Uluru and Kata Tjuta
- Learn about Indigenous culture at the Tiwi Islands
- Visit the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory
- Explore the Alice Springs Telegraph Station
- Experience the unique art and food of Indigenous communities
- Watch traditional martial arts demonstrations
Relaxation and luxury
- Relax on the pristine beaches of the Northern Territory's coastline
- Indulge in a luxurious spa treatment at a top-rated resort
- Experience the relaxed and friendly atmosphere of Darwin's nightlife scene
- Take a leisurely tour of the Northern Territory's top wineries
- Dine on fresh seafood while enjoying stunning sea views
Getting there and around
The Northern Territory is easily accessible via air, with regular flights from major Australian cities. Once you're in the territory, there are plenty of options for getting around, including rental cars, buses, and guided tours. Many of the top attractions and destinations are located within driving distance of major cities like Darwin and Alice Springs, and there are also numerous smaller towns and remote wilderness areas to explore.
Where to stay
The Northern Territory has a wide range of accommodation options to suit every budget and style. From luxurious resorts and hotels to budget-friendly hostels and campsites, there's something for everyone. Some of the top-rated options include the Sails in the Desert hotel in Yulara, the Nitmiluk Chalets in Katherine, and the Skycity Darwin resort in Darwin.
Whether you're looking for adventure, relaxation, or cultural immersion, the Northern Territory is a truly unique and unforgettable destination. With its stunning landscapes, rich history, and friendly locals, the Northern Territory is sure to be a highlight of any Australian vacation.